Why do I need an MOT?
If you own a vehicle that’s over three years old, it will need to pass an MOT test every year. A valid MOT certificate is required for you to be able to legally drive your car or van on public roads. If you’re wondering “Why do I need an MOT?” and what could happen if you drive without one, read on.
What is an MOT?
An MOT test is carried out annually to determine if a vehicle is roadworthy. The test, which is a legal requirement if a vehicle is over three years old, is conducted at authorised testing centres known as MOT testing stations. During an MOT test, certified technicians thoroughly inspect various components of the vehicle. This is to ensure that they meet minimum safety and environmental standards. Parts that are checked include the brakes, lights, tyres and wheels, steering and suspension system, fuel system, and windscreen wipers.
Whilst the test is comprehensive, there are some parts that we don’t check. Such as the clutch engine and gearbox. If you have any problems with these parts, it’s important to take your vehicle to a garage as soon as possible to have them inspected by a qualified mechanic. As long as your vehicle passes all the necessary checks, you will get an MOT certificate. This is valid for one year from the date of the test. However, if the technician identifies any issues during the test, they will list them on the certificate, and repairs will need to be carried out to obtain a valid certificate. You don’t need to have these repairs done at the same place as you got the MOT, however, it can often be easier to do so.
Why is an MOT important?
There are several reasons why getting an MOT test is so important. As well as checking that your car is roadworthy, an MOT can also check that it meets environmental standards. Keep reading to find out the answer to “Why do I need an MOT?”.
- Maintain road safety: The main purpose of an MOT test is to ensure that a vehicle meets the minimum safety standards. By inspecting various key components, the test helps to identify any potential safety issues. Fixing any small faults before they become major problems can reduce the risk of accidents and improve road safety.
- Meet environmental standards. An MOT test includes checks on emissions to ensure that a vehicle meets specific environmental standards. The test measures the level of harmful pollutants that a vehicle emits and ensures that it complies with legal emission limits. This can help reduce harmful pollutants and contribute to improving air quality and environmental sustainability.
- Comply with the law. In the UK, an MOT test is a legal requirement for most vehicles over three years old. As such, driving without an up-to-date MOT is against the law. It could lead to you incurring a Fixed Penalty Notice and a fine of up to £1000, as well as points on your licence. In more serious cases, or if you’re a repeat offender, you could face prosecution. This could potentially result in a bigger fine, a driving disqualification, or even a criminal record.
- Avoid invalidating your insurance policy. Many insurers will require a valid MOT certificate in order to provide cover for your vehicle. Therefore, if your vehicle is involved in an accident and doesn’t have a valid MOT, your insurance claim could be invalidated. In this event, you’ll need to pay for any repair work yourself, which could be expensive. To ensure your car remains insured, you’ll need to ensure it undergoes an MOT test each year.
- A key part of car maintenance. Whilst the main purpose of an MOT test is to ensure that vehicles on the road meet the minimum safety and environmental standards, it also plays a crucial role in maintenance. This is because regular MOT tests can help identify and address potential issues with your vehicle early on, preventing them from becoming more significant and costly problems in the future.
- Peace of mind. Getting regular MOTs can provide you with peace of mind that your car has been checked for safety and reliability. You can relax in the knowledge that any major safety concerns would have been found and then addressed accordingly.
MOTs in Rossington
Now you know the answer to “Why do I need an MOT?”, you may be looking to book your car in for this important test. If so, look no further than B&W Auto Centre. We can carry out MOTs in a professional and prompt manner, providing a while-you-wait service for your convenience. We have performed this test on cars of all makes and models over the years, giving us a huge amount of knowledge and expertise.
If you identify any issues with your vehicle that means we can’t provide you with a pass certificate, we’ll offer to fix them for you at a fair price. We can carry out repair work as quickly as possible so that you can get your car back on the road in no time at all. At B&W, we understand that getting an MOT test can be nerve-wracking. However, you can be sure that we’ll make the process as stress-free as possible.
We have built up a great reputation over the years, becoming well-known for providing a trustworthy and reliable service to our customers. Take a look at the testimonials on our website to find out why you should choose B&W for your next MOT in Rossington.
To book an MOT in Rossington, get in touch today. Call us on 01302 969860 to speak to one of the team. Alternatively, feel free to send us a message via our website and we will aim to get back to you as quickly as we can.